Now that the Fall 2011 semester is complete, it’s time to start this blog for the mayhem and awesomeness that is Spring 2012 World Regions at Virginia Tech! I skipped the first week of lectures since it was mainly an overview course mechanics. So! Here’s what happened in the second week!
Tuesday – Topics discussed included:
- Death Watch candidate choices, anyone?
- Megaupload was shut down… ACTA, and how America is the “world police”
- Watch Nigeria!
- Russia’s selling Syria fighter jets, and the world freaks out!
- Turkey calls France racist, holds fire on genocide bill
- Iran issues threats after EU sanctions. What happens if they close the Strait of Hormuz?
- Where the heck are we? game
- CHINA RICH!
- What a region is, and how you need borders, area, and something in common trait to have one
Thursday – Topics discussed included:
- How it’s decided which drug cartel is most powerful in Mexico
- More about regions! Which region are we in?
- The building blocks of the region – the state! What the heck is it? (It isn’t the typical American definition of the word.)
- Who drew the sovereign state lines in Africa? (Answer: Europeans!)
- What’s the difference between states, nations, and nation-states?