Boyer went to SxSW the week before, and we had Spring Break before that, but class resumed this week and free stuff was given out! It was a great welcome back this week for Spring 2012 World Regions students!
Tuesday – Topics discussed included:
- We’re having a double-header movie night on Wednesday!
- How Americans are ignorant about what’s happening in Mexico – the Mexican population is divided about drug wars, but it’s still just a blip on the radar historically
- What would happen if Mexico legalized everything? (Answer: The drug war would move to America)
- Russia may back UN plan in Syria that everyone should cease fire
- French school shooting linked to other shootings targeted toward minorities. Cultural friction rears its head in Europe!
- North Korea plans to launch a satellite on a giant rocket, 30 days after they said they wouldn’t do rocket tests. They claim it’s a plaque. Whaaaat?
- CHINA RICH!
- What should happen to Japan’s self-defense force? What direction should it go in?
- More on international organizations: from trade pacts to trade blocks, the EU’s history
- Italy is more divided than Germany!
Thursday – Topics discussed included:
- We’re going to have class outside one day!
- More on the EU: history, what it has become, and how it might be in trouble now, the difference between the EU and the eurozone, and why there’s talk of bringing back national currency to Euro-only countries
- Is the eurozone crumbling?
- Other trade blocks (APEC, ASEAN – the next EU?, NAFTA, MERCOSUR, FTAA, CAFTA)
- The Pacific Ocean is going to be hot with regards to trade
- The Internet is powerful now, but governments and corporations can use it too!
- There was a military coux in Mali, but is this unexpected? (No)
- Why you should invest in the Arctic